This was the first year in my life where I decided to take a trip for Diwali instead of celebrating it at home. Picking a place was easy. What better place for a family weekend-getaway than the gorgeous city of Udaipur?
I have been to Udaipur before. I love the city. And I am sure that I will keep going back for more. But this trip with the family for Diwali has a very special place in my heart.
I felt like a traveler who had fallen in love with travel all over again- absorbed in the city, lost in the streets and completely charmed by its beauty and grandeur.
Here are a few reasons as to why I absolutely loved Udaipur and would urge everyone to visit this land of lakes :
1. Old Udaipur – It has its own charm and a vintage vibe that is unique and unmatched
2. The lakes and the Palace views are breath-taking. They are enough to make you fall in love with life even more. Lake Pichola and Lake Fatehsagar are both visual treats to all tourists.
3. The City Palace, Jag Mandir, Monsoon Palace, Devigarh – It’s common knowledge that architecture and cultural heritage in Rajasthan is remarkable. But Udaipur is simply outstanding when compared to its neighbours. The monuments here are sure to leave you spellbound.
4. The Food!– Rajasthani cuisine and specialties like Lal Maas, Gate ki subzi and the Pyaaz ki Kachoris are mouth-wateringly delicious. Make sure to try them all!
5. Havelis and Rooftop Restaurants – I made it a point to visit one Haveli and roof top restaurant for every meal. Lake Pichola Hotel restaurant – is my recommendation for a lovely dinner with the best views and service. Also do visit the Jaiwana Haveli for an amazing view and an authentic Rajasthani meal.
6. Royal and Budget Stays – All the Lake view facing Havelis are absolutely gorgeous, well-maintained and offer a royal experience at steal-worthy rates. My personal favourites are Jagat Niwas Palace, Madri Haveli and Udai Kothi.
7. Shopping – Fabrics, colors, antiques, clothes, shoes and souvenirs – Udaipur has them all. Moving from one street to another, you can easily spend more than a day shopping. Make sure you visit Hathi Pol and Bada Bazaar for great deals.
8. Art and Culture – I absolutely loved walking around in Udaipur. Not only is it picturesque and offers great photographic opportunities, but the streets and walls are multi-coloured and filled with art and graffiti.
9. Stunning properties –The Oberoi Udaivilas and Leela are amongst the most stunning properties in India. These properties offer some of the best spa treatments and ensure that you are rejuvenated for your trip back home.
Once you visit this city, you won’t need reasons as you will surely and steadily fall in love with it. I want to end this post with one of my favorite quotes on travel and I’d like to dedicate it to the wonderful city of Udaipur.
“To move, to breathe, to fly, to float,
To gain all while you give,
To roam the roads of lands remote,
To travel is to live.”
– Hans Christian Andersen. The Fairy Tale of My Life: An Autobiography.