I quit my job over a year ago to travel and take some time off from my hectic work schedule.
Ever since, I have been asked by many about what keeps me motivated in taking off every few months; what it is that travel means to me? I believe we all have our reasons for every choice we make in life.
To travel was one such personal choice and I have gained immeasurably through this journey!
However, I’d like to point out that travelling like everything else also has its flip side – it is hectic, unsafe at times, with difficult living conditions. And there is a constant need to learn and adapt.
But while all of this stands true for me, it also has become a passion that I thrive on, it is what makes me a better human being and helps me grow at every step.
Here are my 5 precious gifts that I have earned through these journeys:
1. LOVE – Love has been redefined for me by my travels. From the love that local strangers show, love that my home stay’s hosts treat me with; Love, which I have experienced for nature, animals and people. I have made bonds that I would not imagine, had I not explored out of my comfort zone.
2. GRATITUDE – My biggest lesson has been- to be in constant gratitude. Gratitude to be alive, to experience the beauty of this universe. I have been touched by many lives and places and have always returned with a sense of gratitude for being blessed and fortunate in so many ways that I may have not appreciated earlier.
Read more about one such day in my life (https://freespiritedwanderer.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/awake-alive-a-day-in-spiti-valley/)
3. TRUST – It is not easy for us to trust ourselves, let alone people we meet during our travels. My journeys have had a larger share of good judgments of trusting people but one can’t always be right. I have also learnt from my mistakes. But more than always, it has been this faith in people that has helped me connect with them, the places and my instincts. It has given me the ability to trust my own judgments and be aware of my surroundings.
4. PATIENCE – Patience is truly a virtue. Travel has taught me many levels of patience. Not just with people, but with nature and the way things pan out – the universe has conspired in so ways to teach me this valuable asset. I have finally understood the meaning of – “to go with the flow”. My plans have not always been as desired but I learnt to be patient with myself and enjoy through those moments.
5. INSPIRATION – My last but biggest gift after every travel journey has been – being inspired. People that have crossed my paths, travelling-partners and local communities, they have all shown me a spirit that I respect. It has made me return home rejuvenated. I have been inspired to enjoy the gift of life. My recent experience in Uttarakhand made me aware of undying spirit and shown me that hard work does pay off!
And for these and many such reasons, I travel. I guess, this is my answer to all those who want to know the ‘why’ behind me being travel-smitten.
There is a quote that puts my answers across in one statement, – “Travelling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller” – Ibn Battuta